I decided to add a couple life jackets to the scene (safety first) and enabled the collision tool. Here is where I may have went a little crazy; not only did I enable collision, but I set it to high quality, and applied it to sub-components of the models (like the paddle, seats, etc...) At first this was not an issue, but as I added more objects (life jackets) I got myself into some trouble with my system slowing waaaaay down. Did I NEED to drill down to this level of collision? I honestly don't know and I'll have to start a new project from scratch to see if there is a difference to performance and scene realism.
I wanted to prop up one jacket against the nearby boat and have the other jacket inside the other boat. I located the lifejacket model from the Substance 3D Assets collection and brought it into the composition.
If I have one issue with this 3D model, it is that the life jacket model is very rigid; it doesn't respond to what I'll call "assumed gravity." It doesn't sag, or bend (or at least I don't know how to make it sag). That said, good life jackets aren't particularly floppy, either. It just felt like I was moving a piece of cardboard around the canvas.